Media Packages Vs. Ports

vrwmiller at gmail.com vrwmiller at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 17:05:26 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I am performing PXE boots and automated installs of FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE
with a custom sysinstall.cfg file which identifies packages that are to be
installed in addition to the distributions. We have need to install
compat6x-amd64 and I'd like to have this done during install.
Unfortunately, it does not appear that this package exists in the FreeBSD
media from which the install occurs. However, it is available through the
ports collection.

What is the relationship between the packages directory on the media and
the ports collection? Is there a process that identifies what ports are
made available in the packages directory of the media? Is it possible to
take a port, make a package of it and put it in the packages directory of
my own media?

--Rick