Problem running custom startup script at proper time

Aaron drizzt321 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 00:19:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 09:00, Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
>> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Sun Sep 19 16:37:49 2010
>> From: Aaron <drizzt321 at gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:39:08 -0700
>> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: Problem running custom startup script at proper time
>>
>> Doh! Forgot to reply to the mailing list.
>>

>> Nope, that didn't work either. Darn. Maybe I'll just have to modify
>> the /etc/rc.d/zfs script to run the for loop first :(
>
> How about just modifying the REQUIRE header on it to include  'gnop'
> the sequencer that selects the order to run rc.d things in sorts based
> on the REQUIRE/PROVIDES dependencies.

Nope, that didn't fix it. I even tried editing /etc/rc.d/zfs and
included the gnop commands in the zfs_start(). The gnop still started
up _after_ the ZFS in dmesg.

However, I did figure it out after looking at the services that were
starting up. There is apparent a 'zvol' script, which was the culprit.
It was loading some ZFS stuff before the 'zfs' script. Once I set the
'gnop' script to startup before the 'zvol' script, worked like a
charm. My zpool status now shows that it's using the gnop devices.
Yay!!