why is the PHP stuff line "off" by default in ports/lang/php5?

Rob Farmer rfarmer at predatorlabs.net
Mon Sep 20 21:23:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 08:00,  <doug at safeport.com> wrote:
> I think that response was not all that unreasonable.

I'm not sure if you are referring to me or ale here.

>   3) I think (proof left to the reader) there is an apache/php package.

There's not. There's no way to run pkg_add -r <whatever> and get the
apache module (either that or it is poorly named and not found with a
search).

And, as I understand it, at one point there was, then it changed.

My suggestion was to add it back via a slave port (say
lang/php5-apache). This would be *in addition* to the existing
lang/php5 port and everyone who is worried about unnecessary
dependency bloat, security, etc. would be free to keep using that.

Supposedly, there is a reason that shipping a binary package for this
is impossible, despite the fact that every major Linux distribution
does (and thus millions of web servers run this way) and supposedly
there are many detailed descriptions of this reason in the list
archives, though I can't find any.

Adding the slave port was a good faith suggestion about how to improve
the situation to meet everyone's needs. I feel it is rather dismissive
and somewhat rude just say "The answer is simply 'no'" without any
explanation. If it has been discussed so many times (for the record, I
have been subscribed to this list for two years and have never seen
such a thread), then it shouldn't be too hard to post a link. And if
the maintainer is too busy with other work to do that, then, as I
said, don't reply and let someone else explain it.

--
Rob Farmer