The nightmarish problem of installing a printer

Peter fbsdq at peterk.org
Fri Sep 17 07:40:51 UTC 2010

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 01:45:54 +0100
> Chabane HEMDANI <hemdani2009 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've search, read, learn, follow instructions about nearly all the
>> web-documentation about installing a new printer to work under cups
>> without
>> any success. I've  an HP Laser Jet 1018 printer and tools given by
>> package
>> print/hplip don't work correctly.
>>
>> I'm using FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE
>> I've rebuild a kernel without  ulpt.
>> I modified my /etc/rc.conf to enable cupsd and hpiod and  hpssd.
>> I modified /etc/devfs.rules like suggested by cups (see pkg_info -D
>> cups-base-1.4.4 ).
>> I've made many other configurations like that suggested at
>> http://diablotins.org/index.php/Imprimer,_hplip
>> <http://diablotins.org/index.php/Imprimer,_hplip%20>
>
>> and finally, I've given to my students the wrong  answer that "no one
>> can
>> print under FreeBSD !"
>
> Which is wrong, all you need is a printer, that is _supported_.
>
>> Please where is the problem?
>
> The LaserJet 1018 uses another protocol, so you need aditional software.
> Take a look at these sites:
>  http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_1018
>  http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
>
> Before buying the next printer, see whether or not it is supported by
> Cups http://www.cups.org/ppd.php . Same goes for your students.
>
> Andreas
> --
> GnuPG key  : 0x2A573565    |    http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/de/
> Fingerprint: 925D 2089 0BF9 8DE5 9166  33BB F0FD CD37 2A57 3565

I got an HP Laser 1018 - works perfectly fine using the foo2zjs drivers,
and I do believe ultp0.  I can send you my configs once I get home if you
want.  The real pain which I keep forgetting after a reload or on new pc,
was having to initialize [cat firmware > /dev/ulpt0] each time the
computer is rebooted [ie @reboot in cron].

]Peter[