Replacing harddrive

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Thu Sep 16 20:43:31 UTC 2010

Hello list.

My laptop has a 200Gb drive, dual booting W7 and Freebsd 8.0-release-p2.

 From dmesg
ad4: 190782MB <Seagate ST9200420ASG 3.ADE> at ata2-master SATA300

I've now got a 500Gb drive that I want to install instead.
Cloning the W7 has worked without problems. I starts when I replace the
disk in the PC.

I put the original drive 200Gb back and I have the new 500Gb drive in a
ESATA docking station.

Boot into Freebsd, this is in dmesg:

ad8: FAILURE - SET_MULTI status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED>
ad8: 476940MB <Seagate ST9500420ASG 0002SDM1> at ata4-master SATA300

Does someone know what the failure is about?

Next I do su and starts sysinstall.

In fdisk I create a slice and prees Q for finish.

Exit sysinstall and start it again.

Create my mountpoints with disklabel. I copy the values from the 200Gb
disk appart from home that I make bigger.

                         FreeBSD Disklabel Editor

Disk: ad8       Partition name: ad8s3   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part      Mount              Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size
Newfs
----      -----              ---- -----   ----      -----          ----
-----
ad8s3a    /mnt/newroot       1024MB *
ad8s3b    swap               4096MB SWAP
ad8s3d    /mnt/newtmp        2048MB *
ad8s3e    /mnt/newvar        4096MB *
ad8s3f    /mnt/newusr       20480MB *
ad8s3g    /mnt/newhome      remaining free space approx 300Gb *

I exit sysinstall and start it again and now the disk is layed out as
you can see below.

                         FreeBSD Disklabel Editor

Disk: ad8       Partition name: ad8s4   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
Disk: ad8       Partition name: ad8s3   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part      Mount          Size Newfs   Part      Mount          Size Newfs
----      -----          ---- -----   ----      -----          ---- -----
ad8s4d    <none>      30866MB *
ad8s3a    <none>       1024MB *
ad8s3b    swap         4096MB SWAP
ad8s3d    <none>       2048MB *
ad8s3e    <none>       4096MB *
ad8s3f    <none>      20480MB *
ad8s3g    <none>      28125MB *

I don't really understand this and would like some help to get it right.

Thanks

/Leslie