how to re-read /etc/newsyslog.conf ?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Wed Sep 15 10:37:31 UTC 2010

On 09/15/2010 11:11 AM, Antonio Kless wrote:
> 2010/9/15 Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>
>

>> On 15/09/2010 09:02, Antonio Kless wrote:
>>
>>> I have changed my /etc/newsyslog.conf by adding some new lines. How to
>>>
>> make
>>
>>> FreeBSD re-read it?
>>>
>>> # /etc/rc.d/newsyslog status
>>> newsyslog is not running.
>>>
>>> Is it OK?
>>>
>> newsyslog is a cron job that gets run every hour.  There's nothing to
>> restart.  Changes to newsyslog.conf will be picked up the next time it
>> runs.
>>
>>        Cheers,
>>
>>        Matthew
>>
>> --
>> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>>                                                  Flat 3
>> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
>> JID: matthew at infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW
>>

> OK, now I see.
> Then for what /etc/rc.d/newsyslog are there?
>
> FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE.

Hi

I guess this is for running newsyslog during boot to cleanup logfiles
(enable in rc.conf)
The same as ntpdate for instance

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.