unix permissions questions

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Sep 14 18:01:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:32:40 -0400 (EDT), doug at safeport.com wrote:
> I found several directories whose permissions where set to
>
>    dr-s--S--T   2 user group   512 Feb 22  2010 .procmail/
>
> All were .procmail which is what we set for procmail logging and supporting
> recipes. In reading 'man ls' it seems (to me) this might result from losing the
> execute bit on the directory. Is this correct? Been BSDing since 1995 and have
> not seen this set of permissions. Thanks for any insights.

After a short read of "man ls":

"s" in the owner permissions = file is executable and set-user-ID mode is set

"S" in the group permissions = file is not executable and set-group-ID mode is set

"T" in the other permission = sticky bit is set, but not execute
                              or search permission.

Result: User can execute SUID, group cannot execute, others cannot search
or execute; sticky bit is set.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany