sysinstall vs gmirror

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 12 13:16:34 UTC 2010

On 12/09/2010 05:09:04, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> How do I get sysinstall to recognize a gmirror?
>
> I've created the mirror -- which currently has only one provider --
> using Fixit#, followed by
>
>     Fixit# ln -s /dist/boot/kernel /boot
>     Fixit# gmirror load
>
> after which /dev/mirror/gm0{,a,b} exist.  However, even after
> rescanning the disks, sysinstall doesn't include gm0 in its
> drive list.  I also tried:
>
>     Fixit# ( cd /dev && ln -s mirror/* . && ll gm* )
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  0  10 Sep  6 10:48 gm0@ -> mirror/gm0
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  0  10 Sep  6 10:48 gm0a@ -> mirror/gm0a
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  0  10 Sep  6 10:48 gm0b@ -> mirror/gm0b
>
> in case sysinstall looks only in /dev itself and not in any
> subdirectories, and that didn't help.  I even tried:
>
>     Fixit# ( cd /dev && ln -s mirror/gm0 ar0 \
>            && for p in a b d e ; \
>            do ln -s mirror/gm0$p ar0$p ; done && ll ar* )
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  0  10 Sep  6 10:48 ar0@ -> mirror/gm0
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  0  10 Sep  6 10:48 ar0a@ -> mirror/gm0a
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  0  10 Sep  6 10:48 ar0b@ -> mirror/gm0b
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  0  10 Sep  6 10:48 ar0d@ -> mirror/gm0d
>     lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  0  10 Sep  6 10:48 ar0e@ -> mirror/gm0e
>
> in case sysinstall looks only for names of known disk drivers,
> and that didn't help either.

I don't think sysinstall will do what you want.

However, what is your ultimate goal?  To install a system with a gmirror
root drive?  You can do that by installing direct to one of your drives
(ie ad0s1* or da0s1*) in the usual way and then converting the system
into a gmirror.  The Onlamp article by Dru Lavigne is the best
referrence here:

    http://onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Or else you can boot into the Fixit system, set up mirroring etc. and
then work through the rest of the installation process by hand.  The
install sets are just split up tarballs and it's pretty easy to extract
a copy of a system from them.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3