Upgrading packages - portupgrade confusion

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 12 01:43:04 UTC 2010

Kaya Saman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 2 servers one production and another test.
>
> The test machine's packages however, seem to be older then the
> production machines one's even though I built the production system a
> few months ago.
>
> I used the: portupgrade command in order to try to upgrade the ports nad
> re-install the packages only the same versions seem to be compiling???
>
> I ran: portupgrade -ai
>
> on the base system as the system where these packages are installed into
> is a FreeBSD jail.
>
> The ports in question are these:
>
> tomcat-6.0.29       Open-source Java web server by Apache, 6.x branch
> postgresql-client-8.2.17_1 PostgreSQL database (client)
> postgresql-server-8.2.17_1 The most advanced open-source database
> available anywhere
>
> Which on my newer test system show up as such:
>
> postgresql-client-8.2.13 PostgreSQL database (client)
> postgresql-server-8.2.13 The most advanced open-source database
> available anywhere
> tomcat-6.0.20_1     Open-source Java web server by Apache, 6.x branch
>
> I don't understand this 100%???
>
> I would like the versions to be the same as the production system since
> I have a postgres-Tomcat connector which doesn't work on the test setup
> as my Tomcat webapp isn't being displayed!!
>
> Can I do anything about this??
>
> I don't even know why it is like this although I must admit that it has
> been an exceptionally long day and am really suffering from fatigue now
> which might be a contributor but I can't tell.....
>
> Can anyone give me any advise??

Have you refreshed the ports tree(s) with csup using the same supfile to
ensure the ports trees are up to date ( and therefore identical)? Since you
are using portugrade, as I do, this is what I do to see what needs to be
done:

I cd to /usr/sup which is where I keep my supfiles and the housekeeping.
Then using this command sequence will refresh the ports tree, the ports
index database, and ensure the package database is clean and synced.
Portversion then just tells you with a "<" symbol any that are old and in
need of an update.

csup -L 2 ports && portsdb -uF && pkgdb -u && portversion

where "ports" above is my supfile for ports refresh and looks like this:

*default host=cvsup.nl.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=.
*default delete use-rel-suffix compress
ports-all

Then a portupgrade -a as required. If all symbols in the right column are
"=" everything is up to date and nothing is required. Adjust server location
for mirror near you (or one that works best).

-Mike