this is probably a little touchy to ask...

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Sep 10 23:53:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 08:16:51AM -0700, Chip Camden wrote:

> Perhaps someone could provide specific use cases for which Java is the
> only good solution?

I guess the only answer to that is "running applications someone wrote in
Java" -- but I know that's *not* what you meant.

> I don't have Flash installed on my browser, and what I lack from that is
> evident.  I have yet to miss Java in any way.  What problems would it
> solve for people that can't be solved using a different approach?

I have intentionally avoided installing Java for a long time.  This has
caused some issues with getting OpenOffice.org running, but the single
use I've had for it in the last year (give or take) dried up a couple
months or so ago, so that reason to care went away.  I sure as heck have
never actually *needed* Java in my browser, for any reason.

Who still uses Java in the browser without some alternative for those who
don't have it, these days?  These days, it seems like the only places
people *really* think they still need Java are smartphones and
"enterprise" systems running on overpriced servers -- neither of which
makes a difference for Firefox on the desktop.