this is probably a little touchy to ask...

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Fri Sep 10 10:48:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 16:43:36 -0500
Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> articulated:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Jules Gilbert
> <jules.stocks at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > About Java.  Using java with freebsd/mozilla or another browser.
> >
> > Some questions:
> >
> > Is GNU java sufficient?  I need to be able to run a browser with
> > Java. No alternative -- and no I don't want to run windoz.
> >
> > I'm trying to do an 8.1 install.
> >

> Works fine for me as long as you stick with firefox35
>
> > Does anyone have a website or even a set of notes as to the right
> > way to do this.
> >
> > Now an opinion.  If Oracle isn't going to help us, we should look
> > around for an alternative, even inventing something else, something
> > that isn't Sun/Oracle/Java.
> >
> > Because this problem has been getting progressively worse for the
> > past three or four years or so (longer?,) and, look around, it's
> > hurting the FreeBSD community.
>
> I believe the FreeBSD Foundation is still accepting donations.

Excepting donations != producing results. I will be happy to donate
$100 US dollars to their fund once they distribute a fully up-to-date
version of JAVA, not some reworked, deprecated version, that is fully
compatible with Firefox on FreeBSD. I believe the current version of
Java is Version 6 Update 21. It simply goes counter to my basic
business model to contribute any monetary assistance to any open ended
project.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net