FreeBSD

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Mon Sep 6 10:56:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 01:50:37 -0700 (PDT)
vyaaghrah-nix at yahoo.com wrote:

> So is it that doadump is the only function which is responsible for
> writing dump in BSD? Or thier are other fucntion which can also do
> this.

doadump() is the main entry-point which triggers dumping. There's also
a textdump system.

> [...]
> I need docs or links which could help me in understanding the role of
> the doadump, panic and boot.

There's information about how to do kernel debugging at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

But essentially panic() is called in kernel code when something wrong
is detected so the system can stop whatever it's doing. doadump() just
dumps the contents of memory to disk.

--
Bruce Cran