"gmirror load" broken in 8.1 memstick

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 5 08:27:42 UTC 2010

On 05/09/2010 05:14:02, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Fixit# gmirror label -vb round-robin gm0 /dev/ad0s2a
>
> appeared to work properly.  (I didn't write down the exact
> message, but it said something about the metadata having
> been written successfully.)  However:
>
> Fixit# gmirror load
> gmirror: Command 'load' not available.
>
> and it did not create /dev/mirror/gm0 or even the /dev/mirror
> directory.
>
> How do I fix this?

If you've been able to run 'gmirror label' then geom_mirror.ko is almost
certainly already loaded into your kernel, making 'gmirror load'
superfluous.  Check using kldstat(8).

The actual problem is getting /dev to update itself and show gmirror
related filesystems.  First of all, is /dev a mounted devfs filesystem?
  If it is, does playing with devfs(8) yield any enlightenment?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3