Which of these NICs will work?

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Sep 3 17:32:55 UTC 2010

Ryan Coleman writes:

>  Any thoughts? I need/want to get a multi-port NIC for my new
>  system but I haven't purchased the guts for the server yet.
>
>  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010064+600013872+600016290&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=27&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
>
>  Basically, this machine will have two external (real-world) IPs
>  and one network LAN (10.0.1.0/24) address, finding three-NIC
>  motherboards is not exactly possible so this is my alternative.

	Intel network cards have a very good reputation; I have been
running a dual-port Pro/1000 GT for years and the thing is still a
rock.  Others will have a better opinion on performance issues.
	The Intel employee who maintains the driver is frequently seen
on current@ and occasionally on questions at .  Nice guy, very
responsive.

					Robert Huff