What's up with cvsup.freebsd.org?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Sep 2 18:01:08 UTC 2010

Dennis Glatting <freebsd at penx.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Dennis Glatting <freebsd at penx.com> writes:
>>
>>> This has been happening for several days. Is cvsup dead vs SVN? Cvsup
>>> is still listed in the handbook.
>>
>> cvsup is still fine.  Please (as recommended in the handbook) use a
>> mirror closer to you.
>>

> cvsup1, which has the same IP address as cvsup, /is/ listed as the
> server closest to me in the handbook. More specifically:
>
> /usr/local/etc/cvsup/update.sh -L2
> CVSup update begins at 2010-09-02 09:46:13
> Updating from cvsup1.freebsd.org
> Parsing supfile "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/supfile"
> Connecting to cvsup1.freebsd.org
> Connected to cvsup1.freebsd.org
> Premature EOF from server
> CVSup update ends at 2010-09-02 09:46:15
>
> Something has changed in the past several days and I'm now getting
> Premature EOF. (I operate a mirror within our enterprise.) If the
> server /is fine/, then why have I been getting this message for the
> past several days? Nothing has changed on my end.

Sorry for being unclear; I wasn't saying the server was fine, I was
saying that the protocol was fine and still fully supported.

I'd say that you have two main options for now; track down the person
responsible for cvsup1.freebsd.org (hubs@ list might help), or use
another server for the time being.