Should a "squid" user have a shell?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 1 23:52:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 16:14:38 -0700
Ed Flecko <edflecko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks RW!
>
> How do I make the changes you've suggested, i.e., like changing from
> the small UFS cache, etc.; that can all be done by altering the
> squid.conf file?

Yes, take a look at the cache_dir lines in in the squid.conf file in the
howto link. You don't need two  cache_dir entries, unless you have two
separate disks (usuall non-raid). You do need to modify the size field
(documented in squid.conf.default).

> Also, what do you mean about the variable to change some of the
> ./configure options that are not part of the default?

Take a look at SQUID_CONFIGURE_ARGS in the squid port Makefile.

BTW The last I heard, the 2.7 branch in www/squid is still faster than
the later 3.x branches.