slightly OT... .

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Oct 28 17:13:03 UTC 2010

	First, since abiword and OOo both work across many platforms,
	this isn't a FreeBSD question, but humor me anyway.

	A [long] while ago I checked on the OOOForums list and got the
	howto's of changing "this into ``this'' in openoffice.  [[And
	'this into `this': it's a two-fer]].  Has anybody tried this
	with abiword??  Clues, tips please?  (Figure I'll ask here
	first.)

	My ascii-to-markup program does the same thing, but only for
	double-quotes since the fact that the zillions of contractions
	like can't, would've, and informal english like "So: howzit
	hangin'?" gave me *many* second thoughts.

	1)  Does anybody onlist have any idea howto turn 'this' into
	    &lsquo' ?   In the HTML ampersand chars list, that's what it
		is called.  Using the ampersand and ints it is "⁞" --
		minus the quotes, of course.

	2)  Iwould like some clues howto automate this either via
	    abiword OR algorithm.  It took some large N days back in
	    1994 when I first hacked atom to realize that I would have
		to use recursion to get the left|beginning and right|closing
	    double quotes.

	3) Or should I give up and do this by eyeball?!

	tia,

	gary

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org