Sorry state of the rsync based CVS,replication

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Wed Oct 27 15:21:41 UTC 2010

On Oct 27, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We use FreeBSD extensively and keep a local mirror of the CVS repository. Up until recently things where working properly with the various servers listed in http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors-rsync.html, but sometime during the summer ftp13.freebsd.org did not respond anymore and since then rsync replication is broken.
>
> The main issue (besides the removal of ftp13.freebsd.org) is that most rsync sources refuse to replicate the content of the .Attic directories in the CVS tree. This means that performing a check-out on ports using a tag usually won't work as some files will not be there anymore.
>
> Here are the typical logs I get using most rsync servers:
>
> rsync: opendir "/3/freebsd-core/development/FreeBSD-CVS/ports/chinese/pcmanx/files/Attic" (in vol) failed: Permission denied (13)
>
> At this moment the only rsync server that provides an adequate replication of the CVS repository is ftp2.tw.FreeBSD.org.
>
> We are moving to svn and svnsync for the freebsd source tree (and I am happy with this), but the ports do not seem to be available using SVN (or not in a documented way).
>
> Can something be done to restore RSYNC mirroring of the CVS tree to a working state ?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Patrick Bihan-Faou

I run ftp3.us.freebsd.org / ftpmirror.your.org that has full rsync support of everything we have on our FTP mirror as well:

# rsync -rav  ftp3.us.freebsd.org::FreeBSD-CVS/ncvs/ports/chinese/pcmanx/files/Attic .
receiving incremental file list
Attic/
Attic/patch-po-zh_TW.po,v
Attic/patch-src-core-Makefile.in,v
Attic/patch-src-generalprefpage.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-mainframe.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-notifier-notifier-impl.c,v
Attic/patch-src-stringutil.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-telnetcon.h,v
Attic/patch-src-telnetview.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-termview.cpp,v
Attic/patch-src-view-telnetview.cpp,v

If this doesn't work for you for some reason, drop me a note privately and I'll look into it.

-- Kevin