Sorry state of the rsync based CVS,replication

Patrick Bihan-Faou patrick.bihan-faou at teambox.fr
Wed Oct 27 13:03:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

We use FreeBSD extensively and keep a local mirror of the CVS
repository. Up until recently things where working properly with the
various servers listed in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors-rsync.html, but sometime
during the summer ftp13.freebsd.org did not respond anymore and since
then rsync replication is broken.

The main issue (besides the removal of ftp13.freebsd.org) is that most
rsync sources refuse to replicate the content of the .Attic directories
in the CVS tree. This means that performing a check-out on ports using a
tag usually won't work as some files will not be there anymore.

Here are the typical logs I get using most rsync servers:

rsync: opendir
"/3/freebsd-core/development/FreeBSD-CVS/ports/chinese/pcmanx/files/Attic"
(in vol) failed: Permission denied (13)

At this moment the only rsync server that provides an adequate
replication of the CVS repository is ftp2.tw.FreeBSD.org.

We are moving to svn and svnsync for the freebsd source tree (and I am
happy with this), but the ports do not seem to be available using SVN
(or not in a documented way).

Can something be done to restore RSYNC mirroring of the CVS tree to a
working state ?

Best regards,

Patrick Bihan-Faou