Netbooks & BSD

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Oct 24 23:23:26 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 03:52:43PM -0700, Liontaur wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 08:06:02PM -0700, Liontaur wrote:
> > > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Mikle Krutov <nekoexmachina at gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not on your list but I just got an HP 210-1010CA Mini Netbook (for
> > > work) that i'm going to test with FreeBSD. I'll see about getting a dmesg
> > > later tonight or tomorrow. I got it from the source (what they call radio
> > > shack up here in Canada now) for $199 plus tax.
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> >         $200 sounds like a win++.  Please keep me posted....
> >
> >        gary
> >

> Ok, here's a dmesg taken while running a livefs from a USB stick as that was
> the easiest way I could think of getting it. I notice that the wireless ()
> was found but no driver attached so that's going to take some work. Also I
> notice that the graphics is pineview which is also going to be problematic
> since there's no driver for that either, other than the generic VESA driver.
> I'd have to say that this particular netbook wouldn't be a good idea for
> someone wanting to run FreeBSD. I'll see what ubuntu thinks of it at some
> point.
>
> Mark

	Well, thanks for the upfate re FBSD.  What I especially don't
	like about Ubuntu is that it is 3/2 trick trying to get the
	festival [[text-to-speech]] stuff running on it.  Maybe other
	flavors of linux are less restrictive.

	Oh-well!

	gary

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php