acroread9 crashing

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Sat Oct 23 11:25:31 UTC 2010

FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE /amd64

I continue to have a problem getting acroread9 to run.

1) It will not create its directory in my home directory.

:1: error: unexpected character `\1', expected keyword - e.g. `style'
Acroread was unable to create the directory .adobe in your home directory.
There may be a permission problem with the parent directory.
Acroread was unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory.
There may be a permission problem with the parent directory.
Acroread was unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory.
There may be a permission problem with the parent directory.
Acroread was unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory.
There may be a permission problem with the parent directory.
Acroread was unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory.
There may be a permission problem with the parent directory.
Acroread was unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory.
There may be a permission problem with the parent directory.
Acroread was unable to create the directory /home/gerard/.adobe/Acrobat in your home directory.
There may be a permission problem with the parent directory.

The directory permissions are normal and no other program has ever
complained about it. I even tried giving it 0777 permissions without
success. So, I manually create the directory structure it appears to
want.

2) Now I manually start acroread9 again:

Error message:

:1: error: unexpected character `\1', expected keyword - e.g. `style'

Next License agreement displays and I choose <accept>

Main program windows pops up for 1 second and then disappears

This is now displayed:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RSException'

3) From the "Security Run Output" received every morning, this excerpt:

+linux: pid 17352 (acroread): syscall inotify_init not implemented

I have tried doing a complete 'pkg_delete" of the program and then
reinstalling it without any success.

I wanted to use 'gdb' to try to debug the program; however, it throws an
error message also:

gdb acroread9
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "amd64-marcel-freebsd"..."/usr/local/bin/acroread9": not in executable format: File format not recognized

(gdb) run
Starting program:
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.

I tried using the "file" command; however, that also throws an error,
probably because I am using the wrong syntax.

I am open to any suggestions. I tried Googling without any great
success. Evidently, many others have experienced this problem also. I
have not seen a concrete solution posted for it. This problem was
reported over a year ago, and perhaps more from what I have been able
to discover. If it is a universal problem in FreeBSD, then perhaps the
port should be marked "Broken". If not, then why does it work on some
systems and not others? From what I have been able to ascertain, many
users have never gotten it to work and have just given up on it.

I have used truss to capture the output if anyone wants to view it.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net