Cross building for a small machine

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Fri Oct 22 17:11:03 UTC 2010

In the near future I'll be getting myself a new box to run a family mail
and web server on, and maybe to act as a DNS secondary. As it's small
(low speed, low memory, low disk) box, it makes sense to build kernel,
world and ports on another, more powerful box. I'm familiar with the
idea of building on one box and then NFS mounting /usr/{src,obj} on the
target for the actual install, but I've got a couple of complications so
I thought I'd ask for advice from people with more experience than me.

Firstly, the build box is running amd64, whereas the new box will be
i386, with its own /etc/{src,make}.conf. I believe I deal with this, at
least for world and kernel, by using

make TARGET=i386 _MAKE_CONF=foo SRCCONF=bar ...

and then mounting /usr/obj/i386 on the target /usr/obj. Have I got that
right?

Secondly, the target box is going to be 5 or 6 time zones away from
here, so the NFS mounts will be via a VPN, and my home ADSL uplink is
only about 1 Mbit/s (downlink is 10). Is this actually going to work?

--
"Although the wombat is real and the dragon is not, few know what a
wombat looks like, but everyone knows what a dragon looks like."

	-- Avram Davidson, _Adventures in Unhistory_