Problem Installing freeBSD 8.1 on Dell Poweredge T110

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Tue Oct 19 06:04:47 UTC 2010

On 10/19/2010 03:08 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Mon Oct 18 06:47:12 2010
>> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:55:41 -0500
>> From: Mike Overton <mikeo.veterantutors at gmail.com>
>> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>> Cc: Richard Ehrlich <richarde.veterantutors at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Problem Installing freeBSD 8.1 on Dell Poweredge T110
>>
>>   (New Dell Poweredge T110, X3430 Xeon, 4GB 1333MHz ). Machine replaces
>> operating freeBSD 8.1 Dell 686 machine with active Internet connection.
>>
>> When trying to load freeBSD 8.1 from a boot only i386 ISO disc, which
>> installed with no problems on Dell 686 Pentium machine, new machine is
>> not accepting network configuration loaded via Sysinstall and cannot
>> find freeBSD download site.
>>
> 'Details are *IMPORTANT*.

Indeed it would be nice if provided more details!
> You didn't provide any -- and, unfortunately, my crystal ball is on the
> fritz this week.
>
> >From what you did describe, this could be a DNS problem, a driver/hardware
> mismatch, unsupported hardware, defective hardware, or even an unplugged
> cable.
>
> Information only _you_ can provide:
>   1) _exactly_ what kind of network card  is in your T110 ?

We have a T110 here and it has the Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme
BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
I see in the kernconf of 8.1
device         bce             # Broadcom BCM5706/BCM5708 Gigabit Ethernet
device         bfe             # Broadcom BCM440x 10/100 Ethernet
device         bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
So it should be supported by the bge driver which is enabled in the
GENERIC kernel
See
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bge&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+8.1-RELEASE
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bge&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+8.1-RELEASE>

>   2) exactly *what* does the boot message say about what kind of network
>        interfaces, if any, were found?
>   3) what does "not accepting" mean?
>   4) what does 'ifconfig -a' show?
>   5) what does 'netstat -nr' show?
>   6) can you 'ping' anywhere?  say 129.105.5.104?
>   7) what does 'traceroute -n {anywhere} ' show?

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.