download cvsup?

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 05:49:15 UTC 2010

Tim Dunphy wrote:

> hello,
>
>  I accidentally deleted my ports tree thinking that cvsup was already
> installed. it wasn't. :(

csup is cvsup rewritten with C and exists in the base system. You no longer
need to install cvsup, just use csup.

>  I seem to be having a little trouble resolving external hosts tho my
> trusty named server on this host is working fine to resolve the local
> network. I need to reinstall my ports with sysinstall but to do that i
> need to resolve externally of course. I think this problem could use a
> fresh set of eyes.

You do not have to use sysinstall just to install ports. It is available as
a tarball you can download and decompress. Use csup afterwards for an update
to ensure you have pulled in any changes which may have occurred after the
tarball was generated.

You will, of course, need to get your network working first.

>  [root at LBSD2:/usr/home/bluethundr]#/etc/rc.d/netif restart
> Stopping Network: lo0 bge0 plip0.
> lo0: flags=8048<LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
> options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
> inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
> bge0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
> ether 00:14:22:38:9e:eb
> inet6 fe80::214:22ff:fe38:9eeb%bge0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

> media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
> status: no carrier
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> plip0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> Starting Network: lo0 bge0.
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
> options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
> inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
> inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
> ether 00:14:22:38:9e:eb
> inet6 fe80::214:22ff:fe38:9eeb%bge0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> inet 192.168.1.44 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255

> media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
> status: no carrier
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your network interface isn't connecting to anything, such as a hub, switch,
or another computer via crossover cable at the physical layer. You need to
fix this first, then worry about why the DNS is not working.

Start with simple things such as substituting a known good cable from a
working machine. Examine the LEDs on both the NIC and the hub/switch.
Usually these will not be lit if there is no link. Is the hub/switch
defective? Or locked up? I've seen hubs and switches lock up and a power
cycle would make them operate again, for a while. Hubs or switches that lock
up have an intermittent defect and should not be depended upon for the long
run.

Verify if you are using the correct driver. What version is the OS? Search
bug reports and mail lists for known issues, e.g. such as someone else
reported a problem with quite similar symptoms and the devs have already
addressed it in HEAD and possibly MFC'd it to STABLE.

Of course, if there is a fix you can't get at it until your network works.
But you can also back up the train and tell us things like: did it used to
work? and what did you do, or change, that made it begin not working? Some
more details might give the 'fresh set of eyes' more to work with.

[snip]

-Mike