Too many binary packages are missing

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 18 05:47:18 UTC 2010

On 10/15/10, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/2010 11:54, b. f. wrote:

> That's quite a delay. This makes it very visible to users.

Well, yes, to some.  As to whether it's an unreasonably long delay,
I'm not sure, considering the amount of work and resources required.
After all, we're talking about lag of less than three weeks.  You can
always talk to the committers doing the work, to get a better idea of
the schedule, and if it can be accelerated.

>> http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-8-packages-latest/misc/kdeutils-4.5.2.tbz
>>
>> or, better yet, build your own.
>>

> See, this is a problem. I only have one very slow i386 and it takes forever.

Well, I have similar problems.  I go to the trouble of building from
source during periods of low use, after having chosen and configured
my software so that I am installing as little as possible, but it
still takes longer than I would like on my older i386s.  You could
configure pointyhat as a secondary source for new packages, and look
into whether you could get access to a faster i386/amd64 machine that
could be used to make packages for your slower computer.  Or you could
try to speed builds using devel/ccache and/or, if you can set up a
cluster, devel/distcc.

b.