libxul compilation problem

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 16:47:11 UTC 2010

2010/10/16 Rob Farmer <rfarmer at predatorlabs.net>:
> 2010/10/16 Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com>:
>> I didn't run X or whatsoever. That's why I think I should have enough memory.
>> In fact after getting that error, I rebooted so I could update the
>> ports from a "fresh"
>> running system (nothing cached or so). But even in that case, I'm getting the
>> same error.
>>
>> Any VM tuning I can try?
>
> I'm not really knowledgeable about that kind of thing.
>
> However, the port is marked MAKE_JOBS_SAFE which means that it will
> try to run multiple compiler instances in parallel, to speed things up
> if you have multiple CPUs/cores. You can try running with "make
> -DDISABLE_MAKE_JOBS" to just run one at a time - maybe you have enough
> memory for that but not multiple jobs at once?

Hi Rob,

The machine has one single core cpu. Finally I was able to compile the
thing, compiling
the offending file by hand (nsHtml5ElementName.cpp) without the -O2
optimization flag.
With this flag, cc1plus eats up all the memory of my system in a few
seconds. Without
the flag, the file is compiled without any problems and quite fast.

Should this issue be a candidate for filing a PR?

Cheers.