mkmf on Linux??

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 15 10:16:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 06:20:32PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 03:00:17AM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 04:30:32PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > 	I tried my first minor build of an unusual program [that only a
> > > 	CLI geek like me would use].  But can't find the mkmf that I've
> > > 	used for years.  I haven't found anything comparable in the
> > > 	Linux world.  Has anybody else out there gotten our old '93 src
> > > 	mkmf installed on Linux?
> >
> > Even on FreeBSD mkmf 4.11 needs some patching to compile (as evidenced by the
> > devel/mkmf port), so I expect same goes for Linux. Maybe the FreeBSD patches
> > work?
> >
> > Roland
>
> 	We'll see.  I have entirely forgotten howto use
> 	uuencode/uudecode [!!] -- well, it's been at least 13 years--so
> 	carefully transferring things by hand.

Why not use netcat or rsync? Or copy the files to a USB stick to transfer it?
Haven't had use for uuencode for at least a decade.

> 	Anyway, there is the 32 and 64 bit issues... .

Compiles and runs fine here on FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE amd64, except for a warning
about mktemp.

> 	gary
>
> 	PS: be nice to see [*esp'ly* ubuntu] get with it; maintain the
> 	older stuff.  Even if it was back in the Eozoic:)

A lot of people use the blighted evil twins autoconf and automake. Writing
plain makefiles seems to be relegated to us greybeards these days. :-) and
while a tool like mkmf is fine, I stick to my own makefile templates that I've
developed over the years.

Roland