Too many binary packages are missing

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Thu Oct 14 03:18:12 UTC 2010

On 10/13/2010 17:24, b. f. wrote:
>> I am updating i386 system (portupgrade -aP) and whole lot of binary
>> packages are missing.
>> For example, gcc-4.5.0, qt4-corelib are examples of large packages that
>> are missing that don't require too many dependencies and are very basic.
>>
>> I know, it may be caused by failed dependencies, copyright restrictions,
>> etc. But it's hard to imagive why they are missing for these two: no
>> copyright restrictions, and almost no dependencies.
>>
>> This unfortunately slows down many people.
>> Is there any solution to this problem? Maybe people just forget about
>> this build server and some minor fix wil help?
>>
> Maybe some other ports have licenses that prevent the distribution of
> packages, but not lang/gcc45 and devel/qt4-corelib.  Where did you
> instruct portupgrade and the base system package tools to look for
> them?   Is your ports tree up-to-date?  I see, on the ftp servers:
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/lang/gcc-4.5.2.20100923.tbz
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/lang/gcc-4.5.2.20100923.tbz
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/lang/gcc-4.5.0.20090924.tbz
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/lang/gcc-4.5.1.20100701.tbz
>
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/lang/gcc-4.5.2.20100923.tbz
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9-current/lang/gcc-4.5.2.20100923.tbz
>
> Also:
>
> http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/devel/qt4-corelib-4.6.3.tbz

My system is 8.1-stable and portupgrade looks at
http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-stable
No sure what is packages-8-stable, shouldn't it be the same?

System should at least have binaries of all packages that are required
to install kde4/gnome/firefox/thunderbird -- major x11 environments and
programs people use.

Yuri