portupgrade command line option -f problem

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Wed Oct 13 09:14:45 UTC 2010

Hi

man portupgrade advises:

	-f
     --force                Force the upgrade of a package even if it is to be
                            a downgrade or just a reinstall of the same ver-
                            sion, or the port is held by user using the
                            HOLD_PKGS variable in pkgtools.conf.

In practice on freebsd 7.2 p3 amd generic I find that uptodate packages are
excluded!
[Exclude up-to-date packages ............
[done]

Whereas I wish to have all identified packages rebuilt even if they are shown
as being up to date. This may be necessary if, for example, a change has been
made to make.conf which affects ports might have an up to date version but
were compiled prior to the changes in make.conf.

Unless I am mistaken it seems as though the -f option not produce results I
expect after reading the man page.

David

Photographic Artist
Permanent Installations & Design
Creative Imagery and Advanced Digital Techniques
High Dynamic Range Photography & Official Portraiture
Combined darkroom & digital creations
& Systems Adminstrator for the vizion2000.net network