mouse problems....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Oct 12 23:30:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:10:20PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:43:43 +0100, Arthur Chance <freebsd at qeng-ho.org> wrote:
> > On 10/11/10 18:31, Polytropon wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > The psm device can be configured per /etc/rc.conf using moused.
> > > While USB mice get configured by the USB subsystem automatically,
> > > PS/2 and serial mice do not.
> > >
> > > Here's an example entry:
> > >
> > > 	moused_enable="YES"
> > > 	moused_port="/dev/psm0"
> > > 	moused_flags="-z 4"
> > > 	moused_type="auto"
> >
> > I'm not sure that bit about PS/2 mice not being configured automatically
> > is true.
>
> PS/2 mice usually GET configured automatically, so type=auto is
> sufficient in MOST cases. In my case (where I took those lines
> from) I had to specify additional flags to make sure some specific
> functionality of THAT mouse runs properly.
>

> > I run 8.1-RELEASE-p1 on amd64 with a PS/2 mouse and my
> > /etc/rc.conf contains
> >
> > moused_enable="NO"
> > moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
> > moused_type="NO"
> >
> > and X has no problem seeing the mouse. OK, I don't have a mouse in
> > console mode, but that's a personal foible of mine.
>
> As I mentioned in another message, X should pick up the mouse
> INDEPENDENTLY from the system (moused), and if my memory serves
> me, this works both in combination with HAL + DBUS, but should
> work also without them.
>
> The idea of trying to get a mouse pointer in console mode is a
> means of diagnostics, where "choose lowest level to check" is
> often the best idea. The fewer components are involved, and
> the better you can CONTROL those components, the easier it is
> to check if something works.

	The guy who set up my KVM/mouse deal thinks I would be better
	off just having a service do my hosting; I am close to agreeing.

	Clearly, the Beklin model I have only supports USB keybd+mouse.
	They sell another that does USB and PS/2,  but I didn't think of
	that gotcha.

	The kernel is set for PS/2 mice and evidently sticks them on
	/dev/sysmouse.  Thru the sysinstall script, I see a mouse active
	in not-X11 but in console-mode.  And the /device for that tweak
	is missing from the /dev table.

	I *can* get some mouse pointer working in one of at least two
	ways.  AS plain /dev/sysinstall, the mouse pointer jumps all
	over the screen untill I sh-exec /etc/rc.d/mouse with the "poll"
	arg.  Having a pointer in console mode tells me that at least
	FreeBSD does know the mouse is there, but I am out of ideas.

	Nutshell:: whatever, nothing mouse works in X11.  That was the
	whole point of this exercise.

    The 7.90a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
                           http://journey.thought.org