Troubles on SATA drives ZFS

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Mon Oct 11 19:22:44 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have a 4drive zfs pool with raidz on FBSD 8 and I accidentally
tripped and yanked the sata wires off 2 drives while it was running. I
immediately shutdown the server, fixed the wiring and re-started the
server. Incredibly I ran zpool status and zpool scrub and only 8 files
were damaged. I removed them and recovered from backup. I cleared the
errors on the pool but I keep getting errors on the 4 drives.

I am by no means a ZFS expert so all I have tried is:
- zpool status
- zpool scrub
- dlete and restore files
- zpool scrub
- zpool clear

Everything Ok and then I get ZFS-80008A again :-(

My questions:

1) Would damage to the 2 disks cause damae on the other 2?
2) Is there a utility in FBSD to check the physical drive itself and
mark any bad sectors as such?
3) Can all this be doen directly from ZFS commands, etc?

Fortunatelly my FBSD system lives in a start-up IDE drive so I can
un-mount the pool and run any utilities over the drives.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alex