Clean up / filesystem

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Oct 10 14:58:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 09:41:16 -0400, bdsfbsd at att.net wrote:
> While there may be important stuff in /tmp at the moment you are running
> the system for some reason (like X, apparently), there shouldn't be
> anything in there that needs to survive a reboot, if that gives you an
> indication of the safeness of deleting things. That's my understanding, if
> I'm wrong I'd be interested to hear it.

I also understodd the meaning of /tmp in this way - "does not need
to survive reboot". For things that have a kind of temporary nature,
but have to survivve a reboot, /var/tmp is usually used.

For example, mergemaster's temproot/ tree resides here, as well as
LaTeX's texfonts/ or vi's vi.recover/ subtrees.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany