how now [green] KDE?

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sun Oct 10 11:47:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Gary Kline wrote:

> It has been nearly ten years since I last dealt with getting-X-going.
> Right now I have ballpark 530 ports installed. Can anybody give me the
> command that I can type from /usr/ports?

Last time I installed X, I used the x11/xorg metaport and pkg_add:

   pkg_add -r xorg

...much faster than building ports. I don't know how much about KDE, but
I'd suggest that you get X working first and then tackle KDE, rather than
try to do everything in one big step.

> Also, what do I add to ~kline/[*]?

I have the file .xinitrc in ~, but I think that gets created by the xorg
install process. Don't know what you would need for KDE, but I would hope
the package/port would create a default version of whatever you need.

Hope it goes well!

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]