Like it or not, Theo is having a good laugh ..

Jarrod Slick jarrod.sl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 05:16:37 UTC 2010

  On 10/8/10 9:33 PM, Rob Farmer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:31, Ian Smith<smithi at nimnet.asn.au>  wrote:
>> We've had a clear explanation of why it's still there - an historical
>> oversight at worst, pre present levels of paranoia and litigiousness -
>> by Jung-uk Kim, who's been importing Intel ACPICA code into FreeBSD for
>> five or so years, among large works on other core aspects of FreeBSD.
>>
>> He stated that it will be dealt with in the next import of the code.
>> End of story?  Let facts get in the way of such a splendid beat-up?]
> What do you mean by "dealt with"? Just drop clauses from the license?
> Has someone who legally represents the copyright holder approved that
> in writing?
>
>> If anyone finds any State Secrets or vaguely crypto code in Intel's free
>> (in both senses) ACPICA code implementation of open ACPI specifications,
>> I'm sure we'll get to hear about it.  Meanwhile, please shut the FUD up.
> Export restrictions apply to more than crypto, and removing the
> license terms saying this doesn't actually remove the restrictions -
> they are a law.
>
> The only people spreading FUD here are those who are have an
> anti-American attitude and are unwilling to accept that since key
> parts of FreeBSD are contributions by people in the US and are then
> exported, it just might actually be affected by what US lawmakers say
> about exports.

@rob,

Kinda wish you would make a video wherein you read your above statement
from a teleprompter with a green-screened American flag billowing in the
background.  You might want to add in a statement about your deep
respect and admiration for the troops, though.  To add in even more of
that good ol' fashioned American [self-]righteousness you could even, in
a senseless spat of litigiousness, DMCA yourself and have the video
removed from whatever third-party site you decide to post it on.

Oh, and disclaimer . . . I'm an American.

Anyhow, I'll go back to lurking.