Like it or not, Theo is having a good laugh ..

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Fri Oct 8 17:31:08 UTC 2010

I'm finding this absurd thread about the old Intel boilerplate left in

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/contrib/dev/acpica/hardware/hwsleep.c

not only wilfully ignorant and spectacularly misinformed, but too close
to being offensive - or at least undeservedly disrespectful - by some.

'Ignorance is no excuse' should apply equally to familiarity with our
ACPI code before singing a chorus of bush lawyers into a frenzy of FUD.

We've had a clear explanation of why it's still there - an historical
oversight at worst, pre present levels of paranoia and litigiousness -
by Jung-uk Kim, who's been importing Intel ACPICA code into FreeBSD for
five or so years, among large works on other core aspects of FreeBSD.

He stated that it will be dealt with in the next import of the code.
End of story?  Let facts get in the way of such a splendid beat-up?

Here's a list of the ACPICA releases by Bob Moore and Lin Ming of Intel
for just the last couple of years (scan acpi@ archives if interested)

X     88 Aug 29 Moore, Robert                  (6829) ACPICA version 20080829 released
X    280 Sep 26 Moore, Robert                  (6262) ACPICA version 20080926 released
X    683 Dec  4 Moore, Robert                  (6639) ACPICA version 20081204 released
X   1013 Jan 23 Moore, Robert                  (5462) ACPICA version 20090123 released
X   1680 May 21 Moore, Robert                  (6905) ACPICA version 20090521 released
X   3117 Dec 14 Moore, Robert                  (6708) ACPICA version 20091214 released
X   2917 Mar  4 Moore, Robert                  (5862) ACPICA version 20100304 released
X   3800 Mar 31 Moore, Robert                  (7125) ACPICA version 20100331 released
X   4627 Apr 28 Moore, Robert                  (6964) ACPICA version 20100428 released
X   5401 May 28 Moore, Robert                  (7535) ACPICA version 20100528 released
X   6373 Jul  2 Moore, Robert                  (7184) ACPICA version 20100702 released
X   7289 Aug  6 Moore, Robert                  (6471) ACPICA version 20100806 released
X   2837 Sep 15 Moore, Robert                  (6220) ACPICA version 20100915 released

Each of these has been or the latter are being merged into FreeBSD,
clearly a non-trivial task if you take a few minutes to browse some
commit logs.  As just one example, scope the last MFC to 8-STABLE:

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=207250

Not like anyone's been sitting around waiting for people to stamp their
little feet demanding immediate compliance with their wishes / fears /
uncertainties / doubts based on Theo seizing a golden chance to yank
FreeBSD's chain - as his post begins - "Just for fun."  And they bit!

Theo knows full well, of course, that all that's at issue is that we
haven't dropped original and long inapplicable bits of the present Intel
licence (BSD|GPL) from that file as OpenBSD has, and as Linux do, again:

http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/drivers/acpi/acpica/hwsleep.c?v=linux-2.6

If anyone finds any State Secrets or vaguely crypto code in Intel's free
(in both senses) ACPICA code implementation of open ACPI specifications,
I'm sure we'll get to hear about it.  Meanwhile, please shut the FUD up.

uncheerfully, Ian