if_bwn woes

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Thu Oct 7 15:20:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you set wlan0 for manual roaming it will not hang.
>>>
>>> Use 'ifconfig wlan0 list scan' instead.
>> That worked, thanks.
>>
>> dhclient still results in no link being found.
>
> Are you sure that you setup is correct?
> For example you can not connect to AP which require RSN authmode
> if you configure wlan0 for OPEN authmode, you also may not
> connect to AP if you are far away, because you are able
> to receive and send doesn't mean AP can see your packets ........
>
> Try changing ucastrate to lower values.

I'm not really sure what ucastrate does - but here it goes:

$ifconfig wlan0 list scan|head -1
xyz 00:23:xx:yy:zz:aa:bb 1 54M -125:-95 102 E HTCAP WME
$ifconfig wlan0 ssid xyz
$dhclient wlan0
... no link ...
$ifconfig wlan0 ucastrate 9
$dhclient wlan0
... no link ...
$ifconfig wlan0 ucastrate 1
$dhclient wlan0
... no link ...

I'm fairly sure that I'm in an area where the signal reaches because
when I was using the ndis driver (on an old install) it worked.
This is a fresh install now.

--
Eitan Adler