Cache Memory in top command

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Thu Oct 7 13:58:51 UTC 2010

On 10/07/2010 03:34 PM, RW wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 06:13:42 -0500 (CDT)
> Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>

>>      The top(1) man page is clearly in error, at least on FreeBSD
>> systems. The descriptions of the Active, Inact, Wired, Cache, Buf,
>> and Free fields are all wrong inasmuch as the word "pages" in each
>> should instead be "bytes". For example, top on my system at present
>> shows:
>>
>> Mem: 1099M Active, 401M Inact, 262M Wired, 88M Cache, 112M Buf, 143M
>> Free
>>
>> Consider the value given for "Wired" (i.e., page-fixed pages, which
>> cannot exceed the number of page frames on the machine, of course.)
>> Now, either "M" has some extraordinary definition, or it means
>> "mega", though presumably in the classical computing sense of the
>> power of 2 that is closest to one million.
>>
> It does actually say, just above, that M and K are megabytes and
> kilobytes. It is wrong though, in that it has "number of pages" when
> it should have "memory from pages" or just "pages"

Thank you both
I have submitted a pr with patch for the man page

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.