Which OS for notebook

Michael Ruhe BMRuhe at gmx.de
Wed Oct 6 19:05:59 UTC 2010

  Hi guys,

normally I am just listening to what is communicated related to the
FreeBSD OS.

But here I feel that I can contribute something for "Which OS for notebook".

I really do share the opinion that a "good" Linux might be more suitable
for notebooks for "Newbees", on the other hand I am using Freebsd for
day to day business also on a Thinkpad T42. I was able to successfully
install and get FreeBSD running on numerous different brands of notebooks.

Sure, you need time to compile and knowledge how to get things up and
running. But don't underestimate what you gain doing things yourself.
To install for example Ubuntu.... its running out of the box. FreeBSD
expects you to have a sound knowledge of OS's.

At this stage I would like to thank all people contributing to FreeBSD
for the good documentation and the profound knowledge.

Only a few things are missing like "skype" but almost all other
applications are running fine. I also tested PC-BSD.... it's working
nice, but for fine tuning and learning pure FreeBSD will be my favourite.

By the way I made my own documentation what suits best. Feel free to ask
and I will be happy to provide you with this document.

Hope this helps

Regards
Michael