OT: Apache as reverse SSL proxy

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Tue Oct 5 03:53:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 09:19:52PM -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Doug Poland <doug at polands.org> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I realize this is not a specific FreeBSD question, but a lot of
>>     knowledgeable apache admins hang around here.  I am tasked with
>>     creating a reverse SSL proxy in a DMZ.  A reverse proxy for http
>>     is simple, but I'm finding it challenging understanding all that
>>     needs to take place for apache 2.2.x to act as a reverse.
>>
>>     I've done an extensive amount of googling and reading mod_proxy
>>     and mod_ssl docs, but to no avail.  Can someone point me to some
>>     docs or configs?
>>

> Save your brain, and your computer's memory.  Use www/nginx or
> www/pound.

What also complicates the matter is that the reverse proxy is supposed
to act for several virtual hosts.  The documentation for www/pound
indicated "HTTPS does not allow virtual hosting".  I seem to recall
bumping into this issue in the past that one cannot do named-based
vhosts on HTTPS.

Look like it's back to the drawing board...

--
Regards,
Doug