OT: fdisk

Robert traveling08 at cox.net
Sun Oct 3 21:29:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 19:40:45 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 10:00:51 -0700, Robert <traveling08 at cox.net> wrote:
> > I have a spare 250G hard drive. Can I use "dd" to capture 250 gigs
> > from the old drive? Using da1 and ad12 as the if and of will the
> > result be an NTFS formatted 250g drive? Will I have the same
> > results, i.e. able to mount ad12 but not ad12s1?
>
> Yes, as dd gives you an 1:1 copy of what you have. If you intend
> to "experiment" on the partition (which means that you don't just
> do reading operations, but writing operations, too), and you're
> using FreeBSD for that, simply use dd's of= parameter to write to
> a file instead of directly to the partition; format the ad12 disk
> with UFS for that purpose.

Polytropon

Thanks for the info. I successfully did the above and now I have a
58.6GB file named disk.img on a UFS disk.

Umm, what should I do now. Sorry for dumb question number 37 this
weekend but I am a bit confused. Can I do just the opposite to another
NTFS drive and end up with all the data looking like it should? I.E. dd
from the file to an NTFS disk.

Robert