OT: fdisk

Robert traveling08 at cox.net
Sun Oct 3 02:45:09 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 19:09:27 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> It's weird that da1 can be mounted, but da1s1 can't.  Maybe a problem
> with the filesystem.  Might be repairable, although probably it would
> need proprietary programs.  Don't experiment with the original drive,
> make a copy with dd for experimenting.

Warren

I should have mentioned that before. dd was the first thing I tried.
I had an unused drive setup as UFS. Then did

dd if=/dev/da1s1 of=/dev/ad12s1d bs=1m count=2000

thinking I could try the first two gigabytes and then go from
there. It look like it went fine but then I could not mount the ad12s1d
partition. It was able to mount it previously.

Going back even further, When I first realized there was a problem
with this drive, I booted with 8.1 livefs. The drive had lost it's id
that showed it was NTFS. I used "sade" and marked it as NTFS but was
never able to mount it. It is very possible that I messed it up but I
was having all sorts of problems with that computer and XP pro doesn't
exactly help one out.

Thanks again for your time.

Robert