8 partitions maximum

David DEMELIER demelier.david at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 21:42:43 UTC 2010

2010/11/30 Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd at davenulle.org>:
> Le Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:45:03 +0100,
> David Demelier <demelier.david at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Hello,

>> We all know that we can only have 8 ufs partitions in one freebsd
>> slice. Since OpenBSD and NetBSD can support at most 32 partitions
>> iirc.
>>
>> I wonder why FreeBSD still lacks more ufs partitions in one slice?
>>
>> Is there any plan to grow up max partitions or every work is
>> dedicated to ZFS?
>
> hmmm, isn't already done in 8.X ?
> from what's cooking for FreeBSD 8.0
> http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd8.html
> «
> bsdlabel gets extended to 26 partitions

> Author: Marcel Moolenaar
> Web: commit message
>
> bsdlabel is (finally!) extended to support more than 8 partitions. The
> new limit of 26 partitions comes from the number of lower-case letters.
>
> To make use of this change, GEOM_PART needs to be used instead of
> GEOM_BSD (this is default in 8.0 but will not work with older kernels).
> »

I don't have GEOM_PART in my kernel, but if you said it's default it
should be pulled in.

> Regards.

But why :

# /dev/md2s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  10m       16    4.2BSD        0     0
  b:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0
  d:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0
  e:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0
  f:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0
  g:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0
  h:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0
  i:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0
  j:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0
  k:  10m       *    4.2BSD        0     0

  c:  2047973        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't edit

line 11: partition name out of range a-h: i
line 12: partition name out of range a-h: j
line 13: partition name out of range a-h: k
re-edit the label? [y]:

I'm on 8.1-RELEASE.

Cheers,

--