Splitting hw raid mirror.

Peter Ankerstål peter at pean.org
Tue Nov 30 19:34:25 UTC 2010

Hi,

Im running FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE
(FreeBSD hostname 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #1: Tue Dec  1 16:10:08 CET 2009
peter at hostname:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64)

and have a MTP-raidcard with a configured mirror.
mpt0 Adapter:
       Board Name: SAS3041E
   Board Assembly: L3-01101-04F
        Chip Name: C1064E
    Chip Revision: UNUSED
      RAID Levels: RAID0, RAID1, RAID1E
    RAID0 Stripes: 64K
   RAID1E Stripes: 64K
 RAID0 Drives/Vol: 2-10
 RAID1 Drives/Vol: 2
RAID1E Drives/Vol: 3-10

Now I want to split this mirror into standalone drives but I dont know if its possible. Since Im using
zfs anyway it seems better to let zfs take care of the mirroring giving it the possibility to self heal
and so on. and of course ease of administration.

When consulting the manual i see this:

     clear   Delete the entire configuration including all volumes and spares.
             All drives will become standalone drives.

and

     delete volume
             Delete the volume volume.  Member drives will become standalone
             drives.

IF! what this does is just leave da0 as one of the disks and makes the other disk in the mirror
available to the operating system as da1 then everything should be fine. But I cant take the risk
if everything goes boom. :D

Is there anyone that has any experience in this situation?