Unable to access CDROM device to play music

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 30 12:33:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:24:36 +0100, Bernt Hansson <bernt at bah.homeip.net> wrote:
> One can not play audio-cd on freebsd without root access.
> No matter what you put in devfs* Tried it since freebsd4*

Not fully true. Maybe the statement ist right along with
the mentioning of "on modern systems" - where "modern"
deserves an additional set of quotes. :-)

I've been playing audio CDs regularly on FreeBSD 4 and 5,
but I was lucky to have a sound card and a wired internal
audio connector for my drive(s). The command

	% cdcontrol play 1

for example sets the CD drive to "play" state, and the
audio signal was available at the front connector (often
not present anymore on today's drives), as well as on
the rear connector connected to the foot bone, the foot
bone connected to the sound card, and the sound card
connected to the amp system. :-)

I'm sad, REALLY sad to see more and more simple things
stopping working...

Giving *others* write access (o+w) to sensitive system
devices may not be a good idea in every setting. For
the "old fashioned" solution, this was not needed: The
user went to the operator ground, and g+w. Done.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany