CURRENT: Issue with ZFS and 2TB WD HDD (WDC WD20EURS-63Z9B1 80.00A80)

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 29 20:25:30 UTC 2010

On 11/29/10 17:41, Leonidas Tsampros wrote:
> "O. Hartmann"<ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de>  writes:
>> I'm running a newly setup FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT/amd64 SMP box. The former
>> OS was FreeBSD 8.1-PRE/amd64. Attached to the system are three WD
>> harddrives with ZFS as filesystem on GPT partitioning scheme. Two 1TB
>> HDD are spanning a volume with 2 TB capacity which is quite fast due to
>> parallel access through ZFS. The underlying layout is, as mentioned,
>> GPT, bot devices are named /dev/ada1p1 and /dev/ada2p1. The thir drive
>> is a WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD acting as a compressed ZFS backup media,
>> also based on a GPT partitioning scheme and known as device /dev/ada3p1.
>> In FreeBSD 8.2-PRE/amd64 I can use the JBOD volume resembled from two
>> 1TB HDD without problems, mounting is all right, dismounting, also with
>> the 2TB HDD, labeld as BACKUP00 volume in ZFS. Doing a "zpool export" on
>> both ZFS volumes works fine in FBSD 8, importing is also no problem. The
>> system's log does not show any kind of irregularities, errors or
>> something else indicating soemthing weird with one of the three devices.
>>
>> Exporting both volumes in FreeBSD 8 works. But importing them in FreeBSD
>> 9.0-CURRENT/amd64 as with the most recent make world of today fails on
>> the 2TB HDD (ZFS pool/volume BACKUP00). Issuing "zpool import BACKUP00"
>> results in
>>
>> cannot import 'BACKUP': no such pool available
>>
>> and on console I receive message
>>
>> ZFS WARNING: Unable to attach to ada1
>>
>> But the drive is and was ada3!
>>
>> Looking with zpool status, I get the follwoing picture:
>>
>>    pool: BACKUP00
>>   state: FAULTED
>> status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing
>>          or invalid.  There are insufficient replicas for the pool to
>> continue
>>          functioning.
>> action: Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source.
>>     see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
>>   scrub: none requested
>> config:
>>
>>          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>          BACKUP00    FAULTED      0     0     0  corrupted data
>>            ada3      UNAVAIL      0     0     0  corrupted data
>>
>>    pool: THOR00
>>   state: ONLINE
>>   scrub: none requested
>> config:
>>
>>          NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>          THOR00      ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            ada1p1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>            ada2p1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>
>> errors: No known data errors
>>

>> This picture differs from what I see i FreeBSD 8.2-PRE/amd issuing the
>> same command!
>>
>> I did a full "zpool scrub" on both pools - no effect.
>>
>> Surprisingly, the GPT partition of the pool BACKUP00 isn't shown in
>> FreeBSD 9, while I see ada3p1 in FreeBSD 8.2.
>> gpart show ada3 lists this:
>>
>> =>         34  3907029101  ada3  GPT  (1.8T)
>>            34        4062        - free -  (2.0M)
>>          4096  3907025039     1  freebsd-zfs  (1.8T)

> [...]

Hello Leonidas,

both pools are versioned '15', that is the most recent version in
9.0-CURRENT and 8.2-PRE.
One of the both pools, that one spanned over two 1 TB hard drives, works
perfectly. The backup pool on the 2TB hdd does not. It seems that the
partitioning information got lost in FreeBSD 9. The hdd in question is
one of that new 2TB drives of WD with 4k blocks ... maybe I made a
mistake when initiatet the GPT layout ... (started the partition at
block 4096 with the '-b'-option of 'gpart add').

Greetings,
Oliver