Digital camera (Canon)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Nov 28 14:39:24 UTC 2010

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:21:55 -0500 (EST), Chris Hill <chris at monochrome.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>
> > I have a digital camera, Canon powershoot sx130 is. That I wish to
> > mount. The camera contains an sd-card that I wish to extract the photos
> > from.
> >
> > ugen2.2: <canon inc.> at usbus2
>
> I have a Canon Powershot S5IS that behaves similarly. I have found that it
> can't be mounted like a disk drive, even though you would think it should
> work that way. Instead, I have to use gtkam to get the pictures off of it
> - /usr/ports/graphics/gtkam

Yes, the camera is PTP. I have the Canon PowerShot S3 IS myself
and went the following way: I remove the SD card from the camera
and use the internal reader of my machine. :-)

Instead of using Gtkam, a GUI application, you will be happy being
able to use a non-interactive way, provided by gphoto2. You can
even automate copying with (or without) deleting the photos.
The gphoto2 program also has a good manpage.

Oh, and check if the camera provides a menu entry to select which
"personality" it will come up with when connected to USB. Some
cameras have the ability to be either a PTP compatible (use
gphoto2 and gtkam) or DA compatible (use mount_msdosfs).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany