Digital camera (Canon)

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sun Nov 28 04:21:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010, Bernt Hansson wrote:

> I have a digital camera, Canon powershoot sx130 is. That I wish to
> mount. The camera contains an sd-card that I wish to extract the photos
> from.
>
> ugen2.2: <canon inc.> at usbus2

I have a Canon Powershot S5IS that behaves similarly. I have found that it
can't be mounted like a disk drive, even though you would think it should
work that way. Instead, I have to use gtkam to get the pictures off of it
- /usr/ports/graphics/gtkam

Also had to change some system stuff in order to be able to do this as an
ordinary user:

Added to /etc/devfs.conf
# Allow members of group operator to use USB
own     usb*    root:operator
perm    usb*    0660

...and here is my /etc/devfs.rules in its entirety:
# Added so ordinary users can use the USB camera if they are
# members of group 'usb'
#
[usb_devices=10]
add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group usb
add path 'da*s*' mode 0660 group usb
#
# 20091231: added the following for 8.0, since usb is handled
# differently now. Hoping this will make gtkam work.
add path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group usb

HTH...

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]