new user questions. (Before I back myself into a corner!)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Nov 27 21:16:40 UTC 2010

> For a standard installation, there's also the base console
> functionality: ALT+F(n) key combo - each one, F1 up to (IIRC) F12,
> gets a different console.

This depends on how many virtual consoles have been
defined in the /etc/ttys file. I think the default
is 0 up to 7, and 8 (corresponds to PF9) is X. The
consoles for Alt+PF10,11,12 can be added easily.

> I often leave the main console alone to
> display system messages while I work at other consoles.

In former times, this was my STANDARD development
setting (text-mode only), 80x25 each.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany