new user questions. (Before I back myself into a corner!)

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 18:25:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero at xaerolimit.net>wrote:

> No need to specify the full path w/ portmaster ... just "portmaster
> --no-confirm -D sysutils/tmux" is sufficient, portsnap is the best/easiest
> way to get the latest snapshot of ports. No real reason not to unless your
> using a custom ports or are maintaining your own ports and don't want them
> clobbered.

There are a couple of reasons specifying the full path is more convenient:

1.  tab-completions work
2.  When dealing with system utilities like whereis(1), the full path is
displayed making double-click+middle click give you correct cmd

portmaster $FULL_PATH - $PORTSDIR is only useful for me in cases where I
remember exactly where the port lives.

--
Adam Vande More