new user questions. (Before I back myself into a corner!)

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 17:22:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Dave <dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > /usr/ports/sysutils/screen/
> >

> Ryan, thanks, but no 'ports' is installed on this box, it was built with
> a net install, from a V8.0 boot disk, earlier this year (April if memory
> serves.)
>
> I find now, that Sysinstall's ports management utility, has to be "told"
> to go look for V8.1 stuff (the Options page) else it just whinges about
> not being able to login to the repository ftp servers.

As root, type "portsnap fetch extract"

I also like tmux, it's BSD licensed and BSD-like in that is has easier to
work with default settings.  Once ports are installed you'll want to install
a port managment tool, I prefer portmaster.

Something like the following will get you up and running with portmaster and
install tmux:

cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
make install clean && rehash
portmaster --no-confirm -D /usr/ports/sysutils/tmux && rehash

--
Adam Vande More